Precast concrete buildings
What kinds of buildings can you build with the precast method? Can you use it for apartments and villas, and what about hospitals, factories, shopping centres and parking lots? As you can see in the examples below, precast can be used in almost any kind of building - and the looks also have almost limitless options.
Karolinska University Hospital
Karolinska University Hospital is responsible for highly specialized health care. At Karolinska the most seriously ill and injured patients will receive care. The new hospital building in Solna is a key component of one of the largest investments in medical and health care services in Stockholm County. In the end of 2016 the first patients received care at the new hospital.
Products used in building
Solid wall, Sandwich panel
- Builder: Skanska Healthcare
- Concrete elements: Benders Byggsystem, Contiga
- Precast used: hollow-core slabs, wall panels, columns and beams
Viborg Landsarkiv, Provincial Archive
The facade of Viborg Landsarkiv, a provincial archive in Denmark, was implemented with Graphic Concrete. It looks misleadingly three-dimensional.
- Architecht: Schmidt Hammer Lassen Architects
- Builder: KPC BYG A/S
- Prefabrication: Confac A/S
- Construction year: 2015
Metsä Group's bioproduct mill
Finnish forest industry group Metsä Group's Äänekoski mill is the first next-generation bioproduct mill in the world. In addition to high-quality pulp, it produces a broad range of bioproducts, such as tall oil and turpentine, bioelectricity, and wood fuel. The massive mill project required thousands of precast concrete elements - made from more than 31.500 metric tons of concrete.
- Gross building area: 142.000 m2
- Total building volume: 1.200.000 m3
- In-situ concrete: 100.000 m3
- Load-bearing concrete arches: 80.000 m2
- Steel structures: 7.000 t
- Concrete elements: 15.000 pcs
Kangasalan Lukio, high school
Kangasalan lukio high school was nominated for "The Concrete Structure of the Year 2012" by the Finnish concrete industry association (Betoniteollisuus ry).
- Architect: Tilatakomo Oy
- Builder: Hartela Oy Turku
- Concrete elements: Betonimestarit Oy
- Graphic Concrete was used in façade elements.
Statoil office complex
This 11.000 m2 office building serves as a workplace, but it's also a shopping center. The structures of the office partly overhang the sea. The precast concrete framework has an impressive glass facade on top of it, and the L-shaped building is beautifully positioned. The precast concrete elements were manufactured in Lithuania and shipped to Norway. Tekla Structures BIM software helped coordinate design, manufacturing, shiploads, and site operations.
- Foundation engineer: Norconsult
- Structural engineer: Concretus Designers
- Architect: SJ Arkitekter
- Facade engineer: Staticus
- Precast supplier: Markuciai